Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Lightheartedness

Intensest heavens –
And there’s no more meaning
Between close lying faces
-It cannot be said-
There is no word
For the darkness overcoming
Every white flower –
Delicate and separate and cold
- Tell me one thing!
Something dull and common
I won’t forget -- before
The world leaves in echoes
Of remembered tears

The daisies in the bowl have shrunk
Like my eyes and heart
And the walls of my room –
Everything familiar is crushed
- The gnomes dance in terror
Over the wilting lilacs
The house has no welcome
-Swallowed by lethe –
I’ll drink your wrists
And forget – Oh blind!
Lie and forget and drown
In bottomless afteryears
Of drinking your lips
- The shade rips mirth
Back to the ecstasy of disquietude
Cross, recross,
One, two, four, three
Talk to me. Sh! They might hear.
We’re alone on this road –
Where the dogwoods drive us mad
-- In terror –-
and the black soil whispers, “hush.”
It’s the shape of these things.

10 Comments:

Blogger Prerona said...

ur back! and how! awesome ...

5:32 AM  
Blogger {illyria} said...

intensest. double stop. be still my heart. ee cummings could not have done any better.

7:31 PM  
Blogger ... said...

prerona - Oh, I'm always hanging around. Thanks for the visit.

{illyria} - If only, but thank you. I love E.E. Cummings and his "endless ends" and "negation dead undoom(s)"

11:59 PM  
Blogger {illyria} said...

you make me think of something from XAIPE. lemme dig it up and c&p it.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

that girl again!, {illyria}, and she's right. ee cummings eat yer heart out.

8:46 AM  
Blogger ... said...

{illyria} - By all means. That'd be marvelous.

cj - "That Girl." Stevie Wonder, right? I'm feeling soulful all of a sudden. Thank you.

7:37 PM  
Blogger M. Shahin said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing this poem.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Inkblot said...

the shape of shadows changing, waning? shhhhhh

9:56 PM  
Blogger Prat said...

Sparkling imagery.
Many years ago, I was watching A midsummer night's dream being staged. Puck was delivering the closing lines. His ways and voice was silent, like he did not want to disturb a thing, waken the asleep. And yet, there was this glee in his voice, a sparkle in his eyes.
I think of that moment a long time after bcoz it was perfect for the both of us, and I felt like a little girl being told a marvellous story. I was with him in so many ways, you know what I mean?
It was a grand rendition of similar feelings.

2:26 AM  
Blogger ... said...

GEL - Thank you for the compliment. I'm a big fan of evolution in general. And I've noticed you've a new home. I'm anxious to visit.

m. shahin - Thank you kindly for the visit and for the selection on your site.

jon - Thanks, man.

inkblot - Just sit and stare...

mariamaria - I believe it is a word. An intriguing one at that. Yeah, it seems shape and form unite and divide. Such is Earth.

prat - That's a fascinating association. I think I know what you mean, as in completely losing yourself to a performance. Always a treasured memory.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home