Sunday, August 27, 2006

And So It Goes

1:29 a.m. August 27, 2006. $16.84 in my pocket.
Why Shankill? How much for six bananas?
Are you an angel?

The streets were empty in Kendall Square.
The end of summer: disguised Rorschach
How much Further for Neal Cassady?

Document review they tell me.
Fuck, yeah.
What’s the weather like in New Zealand?

Do you have a friend that craves pity –
Bowling by himself with a pitcher of beer
in Kentucky?

October’s the most beautiful atrophy.
Will Vonnegut sue Philip Morris because
he’s still living?

My brother’s dog wakes me whenever
I visit. She’s a licker. Can you set yourself
apart from physical contingencies?

I feel untranslatable like a spotted hawk
Sharing a squirrel high in a tree. And what
about those midnight espressos?

Have you ever seen promise dissolve?
Or feel the palatial feast of the sky ripen?
I’m inclined to think you’re inevitable.

10 Comments:

Blogger Inkblot said...

"And so it is
Just like you said
it would be
Life goes easy on me
Most of the time"

(Damien Rice 'The blower's daughter' from the film 'Closer')

2:24 PM  
Blogger csperez said...

this poem makes me want to remember bastille day ;) and hang out by the watermelons ;)

7:42 PM  
Blogger bismuth said...

how much for six bananas? about 50 US cents.

now this poem. it evokes too much. promises dissolve as easily as a heavy summer afternoon downpour.

8:12 PM  
Blogger ... said...

inkblot - "My mind...my mind...
'Til I find somebody new"

Great song.

csperez - Bastille Day... hmm... Can I expect an invitation next time?

bismuth - Is that what it is? I buy them occasionally from the friendly Harvard T fruit vendor but don't realy pay attention. Seems they can't give 'em away fast enough.

**silvermOOn** - Thank you. I smiled because you smiled.

12:12 AM  
Blogger csperez said...

of course! you are now linked!

peace

2:20 PM  
Blogger Yasmin Waring said...

Cassady huh? I woulda thought you were in an O'Hara peripatetic mood when you wrote this--though i suppose the two do intersect.

doc review. fuck? i say yuck. i HATE doc reviews!

but I LOVE the October line.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Prerona said...

i liked but i didnt understand ...
except the last bit ... Have you ever seen promise dissolve? Yes, too many times for comfort

6:13 AM  
Blogger ... said...

csperez - Excellent! Same for you.

Scheherazade - I think just about everyone in the world is sedentary compared to Cassady. I could go on for a while about this, but comparisons are odious, and I digress.

Doc reviews are definitely the pits.

prereona - This was more of a sensory blitzkrieg in my head to take my mind off something, temporarily. I'm glad you liked it.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Stormy Zephyr said...

Liked it very much. Very powerful, cutting, scathing sometimes. And the language, as always, is beautifully woven with images. Very nice! 'Kendall square' brings to mind some wonderful memories I have when I lived nearby. The poem breaks and then stitches things again. Dissolved Promise...is so telling

5:26 AM  
Blogger ... said...

SZ - You used to live around here? Then you know there's not much action in Kendall Sq., other than at MIT. I just happened to be going to the cinema there. And thank you for those words.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home