Sunday, September 24, 2006

Ode to a T-Shirt

This tattered t-shirt…

Is a railroad
and the smell
of charcoal-tinged sweat

It’s telling the world
too little: secrets held
close in each thread

- Of long nights
strong embraces
and rainy days

Each little tear sings
and they know when
the seasons change

It fuses with you
because it’s soul,
man, saxophone soul

It jokes and jostles
with your favorite
jeans like old friends

It’s a philosophy,
timeless music, and
your childhood cartoons

It’s raspberry jello
in August and mad
raging sunsets in July

It’s knowing the smell
of a lover and feeling
the touch of a friend

It’s old vinyl, democracy,
wandering in the morning,
and napping in the sun

It’s books, pleasure, pride,
never going gently,
and making lots of love

It’s ineluctable paradise,
art, universal and
Freedom expressed.

It’s one really awesome t-shirt.

8 Comments:

Blogger bismuth said...

between a beautifully-cut gown and a t-shirt, i'll choose the latter. and wear it over faded jeans. ther's much more freedom in less expectations.

1:16 AM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

sometimes old clothes are the best clothes aren't they?
they convey a memory and hold so many secrets of the individual.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Inkblot said...

It's really YOU

12:49 AM  
Blogger {illyria} said...

i'll take your t-shirt and raise you...erm, mine.

3:12 AM  
Blogger ... said...

bismuth - I hear ya. T-shirt and jeans is my uniform of choice. There's much more freedom and a whole bunch more.

cj - They really are. They contain memories and loads and loads of character in my opinion.

inkblot - An ode to myself? Could I be that egocentric? Don't answer that.

I do think an old favorite t-shirt is very much a part of you.

{illyria} - But my t-shirt's too humble for competition. :)

**silvermOOn** - Comfy to say the least! heh. It's almost a one garment period piece.

7:37 AM  
Blogger ozymandiaz said...

I'll have to reconsider the next time I prepare to dispose of old clothes...

12:21 PM  
Blogger Yasmin Waring said...

my, my you have transformed this into a thing of beauty--holes and all.

(it could make quite a provocative GAP ad as well with the visuals--that's always the copy girl in me, but your visuals are remarkable)

1:09 PM  
Blogger ... said...

prerona - Double back.
:) :)

jon cox - Thank you for stopping by.

ozymandiaz - You bet. Or you could send them this way.

scheherezade - Thank you much.

And if you decide to run with that, don't forget about me. :)

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home